Sample Position Descriptions
Evaluation and Data Analyst
General Summary of Function/Purpose of Position
This position serves as the State’s recognized resource for traffic safety analysis and evaluation. This position provides research, analysis, and evaluation of traffic safety data and information for the State Highway Safety Office (SHSO) which includes preparing the annual highway safety plan, developing objectives and evaluation frameworks for statewide highway safety programs, and reporting on program-related research and statistics.
Assist the SHSO Planner in the coordination of the development and completion of the annual SHSO Highway Safety Plan (HSP) in accordance with the current Federal requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA). 65% of time
- Develop program areas, performance measures and performance targets for HSP development based on analysis of the most recently available Federal and state crash data and research.
- Develop and identify evidence-based strategies to achieve the performance targets established for the annual HSP. This includes researching resources, reviewing data and other research as well as development and monitoring of grants to accomplish technical details.
- Draft the assigned portions of the HSP for review.
- Analyze and synthesize statistics and research from traffic crash records, law enforcement activities, and traffic safety programs for use in planning and implementation.
- Facilitate SHSO staff participation in drafting HSP proposals.
- Work with staff to develop grant objectives and evaluation plans.
- Lead the annual after-action review of the HSP planning process and develop the timeline for HSP development for the next fiscal year. Track compliance with the established timeline.
Evaluate the effectiveness of traffic safety programs and make recommendations for their improvement. 20% of time
- Research and develop appropriate evaluation frameworks for traffic safety programs.
- Develop databases to track program activities.
- Research and design surveys of driver knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs.
- Competitively bid and manage program evaluation grants and contracts.
- Consolidate, organize, and analyze data from program activities.
- Evaluate selected programs.
- Monitor long-term data for longitudinal analysis. Track key variables.
- Prepare periodic and summary reports on evaluated activities.
- Synthesize program analysis with crash analysis to develop and recommend options for improving program effectiveness.
- Work collaboratively with other evaluation programs being conducted by the SHSO and external partners.
Provide research, data, and planning support for traffic safety programs. 10% of time
- Assist with the planning and monitoring of traffic enforcement programs.
- Maintain and query databases of programmatic activities.
- Prepare and present statistical analyses for decision-making.
- Serve as a research and data consultant for traffic safety programs.
- Coordinate planning, implementation, and reporting on statewide law enforcement mobilization and crackdown campaigns.
- Respond to staff and external requests for information and statistics.
- Report on statistics, research, and evaluations in clear English for non-technical audiences.
Assist with miscellaneous projects as assigned. 5% of time