Sample Position Descriptions
General Summary of Function/Purpose of Position
This position is responsible for the financial management, oversight monitoring, and planning for all Federal grant programs within the State Highway Safety Office (SHSO) funded by grants from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This position functions as the recognized resource for accounting activities and is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day maintenance of the financial records, monitoring of revenues and expenditures, and analysis of financial transactions, including analysis of State accounting system reports for accuracy of accounting transactions in various appropriations and funds. This responsibility includes preparation and review of Federal highway safety grant budgets, supervision of purchasing and accounting functions, coordination with central accounting and Federal and State auditors, and supervision of accounting staff employees.
Provide fiscal management and strategic budgetary planning for the division and for the Federal highway safety grant programs administered by the SHSO. 35% of time
- Analyze current budget requirements based on past experience and historical trends, utilizing State accounting reports and other sources. Develop budget for the division, including all Federal grant programs administered by the SHSO.
- Provide periodic budget reports to users (Department of Management and Budget, budget office, Federal agencies, etc.), including schedule of expenditures of Federal awards. Prepare or review budgetary control reports.
- Serve as liaison with the budget office. Consult with them to establish adjustments and new initiatives and to resolve budgetary and financial issues. Monitor division’s quarterly allotments and identify need for adjustments and budgetary revisions.
- Serve as the Division’s primary contact for financial audits. Work with the Auditor General’s office, departmental internal auditor and Federal officials to coordinate compliance with required changes in accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversee reconciliation of division accounting records with State accounting and NHTSA records.
- Approve all payments for the division.
- Direct and participate in year-end closing procedures, both Federal and State.
- Attend conferences and review accounting and Federal literature for changes in generally accepted accounting principles and Federal grant requirements that may affect grant programs.
Serve as the fiscal coordinator for the NHTSA Federal grant program, including maintenance of all related accounting systems. Serve as a financial grant monitor and resource person for Federal grantees on a statewide basis. 35% of time
- Review Federal grantee financial reports and other back-up documentation, correct with grantee as needed, and provide initial approval for reimbursement. Review Accounting Tech’s worksheets before final processing in Grant Tracking System (GTS) and State accounting system.
- Reconcile revenues and expenditures for all Federal grants monthly, utilizing State accounting, GTS and internal tracking spreadsheets.
- Provide an advanced level role in the Federal grant closeout process, including establishment of grantee payables, reconciliation of all tracking accounts, and preparation of the federally required SEFA report.
- Review the financial portion of all Federal grant applications.
- Prepare SHSO grant revision requests for Federal funds.
- Monitor the tracking of equipment with a value of $5,000 or more.
- Provide assistance and training on financial issues to Federal grantees throughout the State.
- Perform financial monitoring of Federal grantees to assure that funds are properly used in accordance with Federal regulations and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Attend and participate in Highway Safety Plan (HSP) and other Federal grant meetings.
- Assist grantees in improving program performance and financial integrity. Review and analyze grantee accounting systems and make recommendations for improving financial documentation and controlling program assets.
Provide advanced level maintenance of general accounting activities for the division including analysis of division financial records. 10% of time
- Review and approve vendor payments and other direct vouchers for SHSO expenditures.
- Review payroll records monthly; analyze and process in the State system as required for allocation changes and error corrections.
- Analyze State accounting system and other financial reports for accuracy of accounting transactions in various appropriations and funds, and initiate journal voucher requests to process necessary adjustments to accounting system.
- Review purchase reconciliations prepared by the SHSO Accounting Tech.
Plan, organize, schedule, assign and supervise the work of the Fiscal Section. 15% of time
- Supervise support employees. Approve leave requests and payroll, conduct performance appraisals and counseling, and delegate assignments.
- Coordinate work activities for all aspects of the SHSO’s accounting section, including: grant accounting and reporting, accounts/grants payable, division inventory, purchasing activities, and purchasing program.
- Independently develop processes for effective and efficient adjustment of the division’s accounting records.
- Assign special work projects as needed.
Serve as member of the division’s management team and complete other projects as assigned by the division director. 5% of time
- Set up spreadsheets and databases as required.
- Recommend alternative strategies to address a variety of issues and problems within the division.
- Complete special assignments as requested.
- Actively participate in division management staff meetings.
- Serve as the SHSO’s financial expert. Provide periodic training to the SHSO program staff on financial issues.
- Represent the division at meetings and on committees at the departmental, State and Federal levels.