The Associate Administrator for Communications and Consumer Information leads the development and execution of the Agency's strategic communications, and manages four offices: Media Relations, Consumer Information, Communications Services, and Digital Strategies.
As the Associate Administrator for Communications and Consumer Information, you will:
• Strategize, plan and direct the execution of internal and external communication efforts such as market research, content development, event planning, social media outreach, traditional media outreach, print advertising, and press releases to promote the Agency's safety programs and regulatory priorities. Also, makes recommendations to senior leadership.
• Manage an enterprise strategic communications program, requiring the ability to develop, recommend and implement goals, objectives, budgets, resources and activities.
• Manage and ensure timely and appropriate responses to urgent and critical press and media inquiries with political savvy and with accurate information.
• Manage the marketing and promoting of highway and vehicle safety messages and materials by relevant national, State, and community organizations and constituencies.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
- FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Complete a Public Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must clearly articulate and describe within your resume evidence of progressively responsible supervisory, managerial, or professional experience which involved management of a program or organization of significant scope and complexity. The experience must have been sufficiently responsible to show clearly your ability to perform the duties of this position and meet the mandatory Technical Qualifications and Managerial Executive Core Qualifications listed below.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): Below is the description of the technical qualifications that must be clearly evident in your resume.
1. Demonstrated ability to successfully manage strategic communications programs, which include developing, recommending and implementing goals, objectives, budgets, resources and activities in the areas of Consumer Information, Communications Services, Digital Media and/or Media Relations. Ensures timely responses to urgent and critical press/media inquiries with political savvy and with accurate information.
2. Demonstrated ability to manage market research and collaborate with subject matter experts to develop and implement public awareness campaigns designed to influence and alter consumer behavior; create strategies that enable a broader organizational reach; deepen community engagement; and measure impact by leveraging a variety of analytic tools.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): Below are descriptions of the ECQs that must be clearly evident in your resume.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation.
Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website.
You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications for specific examples and guidance on writing effective ECQ narrative statements and executive resumes.
Our benefits package offers:
Annual Leave (paid vacation), Sick Leave, and Holidays - You will earn 26 days of annual leave and 13 days of sick leave per year. In addition, the Federal Government observes 10 regular paid holidays each year.
Health Benefits - Employees and family members are eligible for health benefits at reasonable rates with no required medical examinations or restrictions because of age or physical condition. Flexible Spending Account (FSA) - You may choose to participate in the FSA Program. This program allows you to set aside money, on a pre-tax basis, for certain kinds of out of pocket medical expenses or dependent care costs of a child or parent
Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program - You may elect to participate in the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program.
Life Insurance - You may participate in the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance program. The program offers employees an opportunity to acquire life insurance protection at group rates with a government contribution toward the cost of basic insurance.
Retirement/Pension Plan - You will be covered by a defined benefit, contributory Federal retirement system that provides benefits for both normal retirement (with as few as 5 years of civilian service) and for circumstances that might occur earlier, such involuntary retirement because of disability.
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) - You may participate in a retirement savings investment plan that offers before-tax savings and tax-deferred investment earnings. For more details, please visit the TSP website
Employee Assistance - Employees and their immediate families can take advantage of free confidential counseling with health professionals as part of the Federal Employees Assistance Program.
Transit Benefits - We subsidize up to $255 of mass transit commuting costs each month.
Telework - Yes, but as determined by agency policy.
Information related to performance, suitability, and security will be verified. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be subject to fine imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
For more details on the various health and life insurance benefits offered to most Federal Employees click here
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
An SES reviewing panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check. If you are contacted for a second-round interview, you may be asked to submit a written narrative statement addressing each of the ECQ areas (Leading Change, Leading People, Results Driven, Business Acumen, Building Coalitions). If selected, your written narrative statement addressing the ECQs must be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless you are a current SES executive or have successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program. You must receive certification before you can be appointed to the position.
All applications must be completed and submitted electronically no later than midnight ET of the closing date. Final reviews will be performed after the announcement closing, and timely notice of the status of your application will be emailed to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and selecting Application Status.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
$127,914 to $192,300 per year
How to Apply
The application process used to recruit for this position is RESUME ONLY. Within your resume, you should address all the ECQ's and the technical qualifications.
Application packages must be received online no later than 11:59pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If submitting a cover letter, it can only be one page in length; all other pages WILL NOT be considered.
To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement posting.
Create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Upload your resume and supporting documents.
If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET, at Transjobs@dot.gov.