Dr. Guirguis, Chief Science Officer, is one of the leading authorities in the field of sample collection and POC testing.
A graduate of the University of Alexandria Egypt, M.D. and M.S., and Georgetown University, M.S. (bioengineering) and Ph.D. (biophysics), Dr. Guirguis served as a research pathologist at the National Cancer Institute/NIH, Bethesda, Md., and as a research associate at the Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown. Dr. Guirguis has several inventions and patents to his name in the fields of molecular diagnostics, cancer early detection and sample collection and testing:
- Urine test in the cup (Genie-Cup™)
- Saliva-based nanotechnology (colloidal gold) vertical-flow test strips for POC testing
- Infra-Red monolayer cytology based cancer detection
- Smart-vacutainer blood withdrawing and testing
- Monolayer cytology from liquid preparation (MonoPrep™) for cervical and bladder cancer screening (replaced the traditional Pap smear methodology)
Dr. Guirguis’ technologies have been used by corporations including DuPont, Bristol-Myers Squibb, MonoGen, Cytyc, Hologic, Point of Care Fingerprint Biotech, Syva, Dade Behring and Siemens.