The manager of government affairs will assist the deputy executive director with coordinating the government affairs activities within the organization. The incumbent responds to the needs of the membership, including advocacy of public policy positions of CVSA to the proper constituencies, monitors regulatory and legislative activities, and works with the deputy executive director to coordinate regulatory, policy and legislative positions with the legislative and executive branches of government.
Essential Job Functions
The following list of duties is not exhaustive. CVSA may also outline additional responsibilities that are not included in this job description.
- Responsible for monitoring legislative and regulatory activities on issues related to commercial motor vehicle safety and enforcement
- Responsible for maintaining personal contact and communication with members of the legislative and regulatory bodies and/or their staff
- Responsible for providing periodic updates to the membership on legislative and regulatory actions that impact CVSA’s mission, vision and goals
- Responsible for developing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to support programs and services, and policy and legislative activities
- Assists in managing the development and implementation of lobbying strategies, including the drafting of statements, letters and testimonies, and direct contact with legislators and regulators
- Assists in lobbying before Members of Congress and congressional staff on commercial motor vehicle safety related issues
- Assists with supporting the CVSA Policy and Regulatory Affairs Committee, along with other relevant technical special committees, task forces and ad hoc committees
- Represent the Alliance at stakeholder meetings and events
- Other duties as assigned by the deputy executive director