The position serves as a Safety Engineer in the Technical Programs Team within the Tennessee Federal-aid Highway Division of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Department of Transportation (DOT). The incumbent’s principal duties include administering, promoting, evaluating, and coordinating Safety programs and initiatives.
As a Civil Engineer (Transportation), you will:
- Provide guidance and direction to TDOT in developing the Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP). Assist TDOT in the development and planning of the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)Analyzes the processes by which the State develops safety plans. Identifies safety problem areas and suggests improvements needed during the safety planning process. Provide direction and technical advice to the State (and local agencies) in achieving FHWA safety-related goals and objectives.
- Represent the Division and serve as the liaison to develop and maintain interagency coordination and cooperation on highway safety issues. Monitor, coordinate, and provide technical assistance to the TDOT and Division office on emerging and existing safety-related design, construction, operation, and maintenance standards and practices that are incorporated into Federal-aid and other highway projects.
- Evaluate compliance by TDOT and local jurisdictions of Federal highway safety regulations, policies, and goals. Communicate findings, recommendations, and suggestions to TDOT and local jurisdictions.
- Screen, disseminate, and market highway safety research, demonstration projects, training courses, and technology transfer products to TDOT and State/local agencies. Develop and promote FHWA priorities to TDOT in developing the Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) in cooperation with NHTSA Region and in alignment with FHWA national goals.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to the State (and local agencies) in implementing safety related FHWA policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate possesses knowledge and experience in the planning, design, and implementation of transportation safety in conformance with State and Federal laws and regulations. This position is ideal for a professional who has knowledge and experience in highway project design, construction, operations, and maintenance, including traffic engineering, and traffic safety, with excellent communication skills and the ability to represent the agency in a professional manner.
How to Apply
Click here for more information and to apply. This job listing closes on March 24, 2023.