The Director, Communications has overall responsibility for the development of internal and external communications strategies designed to fulfill the NSC mission of reducing and preventing injury and death. Leads content strategy, development and execution to drive earn and shared media for the Councils advocacy and business operations. Channels include NSC website content (nsc.org) and the content for the Council's social and digital media channels. Additional responsibilities include overseeing the media relations function to enhance the Council's public image and promote the Council's positions and key messages to the general public as well as other key stakeholders. The role is also responsible for overseeing and managing internal communications.
- Directs internal and external communications strategies and programs to enhance understanding of safety issues and NSC strategies in ways that enhance the Council's public image and reputation among key constituents, including media, public officials, NSC members, corporate partners and the general public and board, membership, chapters and staff. Manages development and oversight of corporate communications pieces, including researching, writing, editing and production of annual reports, member newsletters, Green Cross Quarterly (fundraising), video content, and articles for internal and external publications. Coordinates messaging across advocacy and business units to provide cohesive communications and positioning with focused messaging for key audiences. Serves as a principal NSC spokesperson with the news media, or designates a staff spokesperson to act in this capacity. Identifies subject matter experts in the organization who should act as spokespersons for specific topics and ensures those people are properly trained and guided to speak on the Council's behalf.
- Manages the Public Relations department, including Content Producers, Web writers, Media Relations, and Public Relations. Provides leadership to individual staff members and develops processes to ensure excellent performance. Coaches employees and their work operations to advance communication strategies.
- Drives media relations through releases, by pitching stories to key media and developing media placements. Tracks media coverage for both print and electronic media. Identifies trends and capitalizes on local, regional and national interests to expand awareness of NSC messaging.
- Coordinates and contributes to website governance steering committee, ensuring content quality, messaging and mission presence. Manages, develops and reviews web content for nsc.org. Develops and executes strategies to expand the Council's presence in owned social networking, online forums, online video and other online communications media.
- Develops, recommends and monitors department operating budget.
- Responsible for safety as outlined in the Safety Manual. Follows safety policies and practices specific to job/position and level.
- Manages externals communication agency and consultant relationships.
How to Apply
Click here for more information and to apply.