The Transportation Research Board (TRB) is one of six major divisions of the National Research Council—a private, nonprofit institution that is the principal operating agency of the National Academies in providing services to the government, the public, and the scientific and engineering communities. The Board's mission is to provide leadership in transportation innovation and progress through research and information exchange, conducted within a setting that is objective, interdisciplinary, and multimodal.
A forum for coordinated and collaborative research, the Behavioral Traffic Safety Cooperative Research Program (BTSCRP) is a partnership between the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and The Transportation Research Board (TRB). More information about the program can be found at trb.org/btscrp.
The National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) is an applied, contract research program that develops near-term, practical solutions to transportation issues. TRB manages this program; a description of the program may be found at http://www.trb.org/CRP/About/DivD.asp.
The Senior Program Officer will manage projects primarily in the BTSCRP, but will also manage several projects for the NCHRP. The Senior Program Officer will work with expert panels established for the purpose of guiding research projects on a wide variety of transportation topics but specializing in behavioral road safety, including driver impairment and distraction, driver licensing, training, and enforcement, older drivers, younger drivers, and issues related to pedestrians, cyclists, and other mobility options such as scooters and mopeds. The Senior Program Officer will be responsible for preparing project statements and progress reports, making presentations before technical groups, evaluating research reports, initiating contracts, and monitoring research. The selected candidate will assist in program administration.
- Facilitating project panel meetings, supporting the panel chairs, and following up with notes of the panel meetings;
- Working with prospective proposers resolving all matters relating to submission of acceptable proposals;
- Evaluating research proposals for technical merit and participating in the process of selecting research agencies;
- Becoming thoroughly familiar with the selected research plan and working with the agency and project panels in developing a detailed working plan to accomplish project objectives;
- Working with administrative offices to provide information necessary for contract negotiation and execution;
- Managing contracts by obtaining a clear meeting of minds on objectives and technical aspects of accomplishing objectives, visiting research agencies to become familiar with the organizations and their facilities and to monitor the work and assess comparative progress against project schedules, preparing visit reports setting forth progress and appraisal of agencies’ accomplishments, and making recommendations concerning orderly pursuit of the various research projects;
- Reviewing monthly and quarterly reports of progress and such other reports as needed for administration of the program;
- reviewing all types of reports that emanate from research for clarity, completeness, adherence to CRP format, and fulfillment of research plan, and making recommendations as to acceptability;
- Conducting periodic surveillance visits;
- Making critical reviews of projects’ progress with recommendations for improvement;
- Interpreting the findings of each project with respect to applicability for improving practices;
- Preparing Research Results Digests and other derivative products;
- Preparing staff forewords for use in published reports;
- Making presentations on research findings at technical meetings;
- Coordinating with appropriate agencies for work within given subject areas to ensure that projects have the benefit of all available knowledge;
- Providing staff support to BTSCRP project selection committees in formulating annual research programs by reviewing and evaluating problems submitted for research.
How to Apply
Click here for more information and to apply.