Spotlight on Highway Safety
GHSA's new spotlight report, Rear Seat Belt Use: Little Change in Four Years, Much More to Do, explores adult rear seat belt use rates, state laws and enforcement, and public education efforts.
The report makes specific recommendations on how states and other stakeholders can and should save lives by increasing rear seat belt use by adults:
- States should pass and enforce strong laws and publicize the benefits of belt use in all seating positions;
- For-hire vehicle services should actively promote belt use to their passengers;
- Vehicle manufacturers should install rear seat belt use reminders; and
- NHTSA should develop programs and finalize federal rulemaking to require rear belt reminders.
The report was researched and authored by Dr. James Hedlund of Highway North, a former senior official with NHTSA.
- Download "Rear Seat Belt Use: Little Change in Four Years, Much More to Do"
- News Release: As Families Take to the Roadways, New Report Notes More Than 800 Unbuckled Rear Passengers Killed in 2018
Infographics Available for Download
JPEGs of the following infographics are available for download under "Resource Downloads" below. For higher-resolution image files, contact Adrian Nicholas at email@example.com.