This comprehensive, first-of-its-kind report, made possible through funding from State Farm®, examines the cause and effect of drowsy driving as well as how states and others can best address it.
Wake Up Call! discusses legislative, enforcement, education, and engineering countermeasures being employed as well as in-vehicle technologies that are available today or on the horizon. Also provided are examples of some state best practices to address the issue, including efforts in Iowa, New York, Texas and Utah.
The report was researched and written by Pam Fischer, Principal of Pam Fischer Consulting. GHSA worked with a panel of experts (listed below) to develop the report and identify the key takeaways and featured programs.
- Download Wake Up Call! Understanding Drowsy Driving and What States Can Do
- View Recorded Webinar
- Webinar Slides
Expert Panel Members
- Jonathan Adkins, Executive Director, Governors Highway Safety Association, Washington, DC
- Dr. David Davila, Vice Chair, National Sleep Foundation, Medical Director, Sleep Center, Baptist Health Medical Center, Little Rock, AR
- Chuck DeWeese, Assistant Commissioner, New York Governor’s Traffic Safety Commission, Albany, NY
- Vicki Harper, Public Affairs, State Farm®, Bloomington, IL
- *Dr. J. Stephen Higgins, Research Psychologist, National Highway Traffic, Safety Administration, Washington, DC
- Patrick Hoye, Bureau Chief, Iowa Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau, Des Moines, IA
- Lisa Joyce, Public Affairs, State Farm®, Concordville, PA
- Dr. Rafael Pelayo, Clinical Professor, Adults & Children Sleep Medicine Center, Stanford Health Care, Redwood City, CA
- Dawn Teixeria, President & CEO, SADD, Inc., Marlborough, MA
- Ted Thurn, Sr. Health Policy & Government Affairs Analyst, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Darien, IL
- Dr. Nathaniel Watson, Immediate Past President, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Co-Director, University of Washington Medicine Sleep Center, Seattle, WA
*Served in an advisory capacity
The views and recommendations in this publication do not necessarily reflect those of GHSA, State Farm or the individuals or organizations represented on the Expert Panel.
Infographics Available for Download
PDFs of the following infographics are available for download under "Resource Downloads" below.