This publication examines adults—other than parents—who have the opportunity to influence teen decision-making about driving and showcases several safe driving initiatives.
It opens with a primer to help states and practitioners understand why and how to successfully partner with these other adult influencers. It also discusses what potential adult influencers need to know about teen safe driving to ensure they understand the extent and nature of the problem and become champions.
The report was funded through a grant from the Ford Motor Company Fund, researched and written by national teen driving expert Pam Fischer, and guided by a panel of teen safe driving experts.
- Download Under Their Influence: The New Teen Safe Driving Champions
- Play Recorded Webinar
- View Webinar Slides
Advisory Panel Members
- Jonathan Adkins, Executive Director, Governors Highway Safety Association
- Chuck DeWeese, Assistant Commissioner, New York Governor’s Traffic Safety Commission (Albany, NY)
- Jim Graham, Community Relations Manager, Ford Motor Company Fund &
Community Services (Dearborn, MI)
- Steve Grosz, General Manager/Lead Instructor, The Pulse, East Valley
Institute of Technology (Mesa, AZ)
- Laura Stephen, Senior Account Executive and Taking the Lead Program
Director, KDKA-TV (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Lauren Stewart, Director, Maine Bureau of Highway Safety (Augusta, ME)
- Dr. Purnima Unni, Pediatric Trauma Injury Prevention Program Manager, Monroe Carrell Jr. Children’s Hospital of Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN)
Infographics Available for Download
JPEGs of the following infographics are available for download under "Resource Downloads" below.